Monday, January 12, 2009

Beware the Cauliflower??

Nick is up in Flagstaff completing a wilderness first aid course. It's only two hours away but seemed a lot further last night at 2am when Chum woke up for an early morning feed. He then proceeded to grizzle away the dark hours until around 4.30 when he finally started to madly suck "Soothie" the magic blue pacifier and drift off to sleep. Not sure what the problem was as he is usually a super sleeper (an important characteristic as we are a family that relishes in the joys of a simple snooze and cuddle). We dozed nose to nose until the sun started up at which time he started giggling and snorting. While it was cute, I had to find his Nana as Momma was in desperate need of more snoozin'.

Despite my bout of crankiness this morning, I normally really, really love early mornings with Chum. He wakes up a delight and spends a good hour or two concocting concertinas of chuckles, squeeks, fake coughs, grunts and coos. We leave Poppa to sleeping and hang out in fron the the living room fireplace in a quiet house watching the sun light up the foothills. I throw in some well timed responses like "Yes, yes I see what you mean" or "No, really?" or a vague "Hmmmm" to which his whole face lights up, the dimples emerge and he waves his hands like a madman.

The only reason I can come up for his fussy middle of the night episode is that I ate something out of the ordinary that set him off. The only thing I could think of was cauliflower. So wondering should I leave it alone or try eating it again in a few days to confirm this very un-scientific hypothesis??

I should add this whole early morn' time he is sans diaper which must make up a large part of the joy. This is a kid who truly loves to be naked. I see a future of streaking at football games in his future.

We have been completely spoiled during this extended holiday to the South West and I am slightly dreading the return to our little island next week. Looking forward to seeing the whales, the sunsets and even the chickens. But am going to miss waking up to fresh coffee and never wondering what to make for dinner.

Have starting dreaming of a massive road trip for fall back through this part of the world. Stay tuned for plans. Chum's passport came in the mail the other day and tickets for April's Australia trip have been bought. He better hang onto his "Soothie" because I see plenty of wandering in his future.

No comments:

Post a Comment